Forsetzung der Diskussion aus Schlusskonferenz 216 - #25

@Albulipe

Da mein Englisch nur ein rudimentäres Schulenglisch aus den 1990er Jahren ist, kann ich leider nur auf deutsch antworten. Ich denke aber, das dank Goolge-Translator es weiterhin möglich sein sollte, sich über das angesprochene Thema weiter zu unterhalten.

Zu Punkt 1. Das Wegfallen von künstlichen Grenzen auf finanzieller Basis führt meiner Meinung nach zu noch mehr Ungerechtigkeiten. Auch wenn anhand von Beispielen wie Paris St. Germain und Manchester City zwar ansatzweise das Finanzgebaren angesprochen wurde, hat sich Infantino eigenmächtig über UEFA- und FIFA Statuten des Financial Fairplay (FFP) hinweg gesetzt und diese großen Clubs mit einer lächerlichen Geldstrafe davon kommen lassen, während bei kleineren Vereinen (FC Sion) überhart durch gegriffen wurde. An diesem Beispiel zeigt sich ebenfalls sehr gut, das großes Kapital geschützt wird, während weniger lukrativ aufgestellte Vereine die volle Härte des FFP zu spüren bekommen haben.

Eine Auflösung der Grenzwerte von Investoren oder Sponsoren würde dazu führen, das die Ungleichheit noch größer werden würde. Es ist ein netter Glaube das durch eine solche Regelung die „kleineren“ Vereine mehr Möglichkeiten hätten. Dieser Gedanke würde genau das Gegenteil auslösen. Es zeigt sich ebenso in der Wirtschaft (besonders bei Investment Banken) - wo Kapital unkontrolliert und ohne Regelung transferiert werden kann, sind die Missstände als auch die Gefahren am größten. Mit einer gut geführten und ernsten Bankenaufsicht hätte es das Thema Lehman Bank nie ergeben. Und weil die Ligen, als auch die UEFA und FIFA genauso willkürlich und nicht wirklich ernsthaft auf diese Geschäftspraktiken achten, würde es im Fußball ebenso ein Erdbeben verursachen wie 2008 in der Finanzwelt.

Zu Punkt 2. Eine gut gemeinte Idee, die sich auf internationaler Ebene jedoch nicht durchsetzen lässt, da es nach wie vor wie in der Finanzwelt, internationale Steuerschlupflöcher gibt. Selbst wenn man es durchsetzen könnte, eine internationale Gehaltsobergrenze oder eine Erfolgssteuer einzuführen, was würde dadurch passieren? Bei einer Gehaltsobergrenze würden sich Spitzenvereine einfach umstrukturieren und innerhalb kürzester Zeit die Geschäftspraktik anpassen. Bestes Beispiel ergibt sich aus der Vergangenheit beim DFB. Während nach Gründung der 1. Bundesliga bis in die 1970er Jahre hinein Vertrags- als auch Lizenzspieler einer Gehaltsobergrenze unterlegen waren, wurde diese Regelung in den 1970er abgeschafft, da die Bundesliga ausblutete, weil sehr viele renommierte und bekannte Spieler ins Ausland wechselten. Selbst bei einer internationalen Regelung könnten Vereine dies mit dem Argument des Bosman-Urteils entgegnen. Wie sagt man so schön, das Kind ist in den Brunnen gefallen und wird nicht mehr zu retten sein.

Just briefly because I am a bit pressed for time at the moment. First, don’t worry about your English. My German should be up to the task. :wink:

That’s why in my sweeping first proposal I suggested getting rid of FFP altogether, didn’t I ? :wink:

As far as both the goals and morals of potential investors are concerned, I tend to disagree with you. I believe that if as an investor you get into football to make money, you have chosen the wrong line of investment. There are a lot of other investments where you can make more money quicker or less risky or both. I’d imagine your prototypical sheikh or oligarch or business magnate investor has other things in mind. I think what drives them are such things as enjoying the limelight of popular attention and basking in the glory of winning big trophies rather than turning a profit.

For the very same reason, I also believe that your average football Investor isn’t as morally depraved as you seem to imply. I’m sure that for most of them, their football investment is more than just a set of shares in their portfolio. I don’t believe most of them will up and leave as soon as their respective club hits the first bump in the road. Theirs is a marriage of love, not of necessity. If you take a look at the English Championship and Leagues one and two, you will find examples supporting my claim. But even in the Premier League, investors are more loyal than you’ll probably suspect.

I beg to differ. The same kind of knock on effects we have seen in the banking world, we wouldn’t observe in professional football. At the time of the Lehman Brothers’ collapse, investment banks generally used to hold equity shares in one another. They also used to hold a lot of each other’s issued debt. Thus, when Lehman Brothers collapsed and both its equity and debt lost all its value, a lot of banks around it had to write off huge losses and were affected heavily. Some even went out of business.

The same wouldn’t happen in professional football. Football clubs don’t hold shares in, or bonds of, one another. If one club becomes insolvent, this doesn’t negatively affect any other clubs. On the contrary, I’d like to think that a lot of clubs would be very happy if, say, the FC Bayern went down. :wink:

As for your assessment of the salary cap, I tend to agree. A salary cap is probably not the way to go in European football, especially not if it’s limited to one or just a few leagues. I was rather considering some kind of success tax in the way of perhaps a progressive profit tax or something along these lines. Next to a revision of how the TV and broadcasting rights income is distributed, this could be an expedient and feasible measure to reallocate money from top to bottom.

Your (plural) thoughts?

EDIT: thank you for putting up with my English. I hope all of you don’t mind?

I’d like to believe it. And as you pointed out, there may be several very good examples for that. Still, when we discuss investment and investors, there shall be profit in the end - be it financial, silver ware or glory. But if this doesn’t come true, potentially investors drop their “love” for a club and just withdraw. There are not unlimited Liverpools and Manchesters, Dortmunds and Valencias (just random picks with a big name and tradition).

Sure. But having a look at the growth and sums that circulate in football these times, the market seems very much attractive though. Anyway, what is more likely, at least in my little brain, is that investors start looking for a cheap entry in a lower league. They can start fiddling and playing around, having a look how things go. I personally find this disgusting. You either “invest” or support a club with all honesty and commitment, or you leave it be. But shoving up money a club’s ass, just to let it drop after ten years while the club was not able to promote…sorry, this is unacceptable. Try to build your own brand, company whatsoever, but don’t fuck up clubs. Be they all so small. (Sorry, this got a bit too emotional right now^^)

Good luck with that. In Germany they aren’t even able to establish and pass a decent tax for top earners (“Reichensteuer”) or inheritance tax (Erbschaftssteuer). I don’t wanna mix up things here, but I hope you get my point. In case such things would be ever open to debate, big clubs will do their utmost to prevent themselves from paying a “success tax”.

I agree on the redistribution for broadcasting rights. There needs to be a much stronger act of solidarity within a league or association. Alone, I don’t believe in this kind of moral thinking anymore. Not in football.

The rich and famous have evolved since a long time. And I’m convinced it will stay like this for the next decades (just consider Al-Khelaifi on the board of the UEFA committee). Until a day someone or something will throw over the whole system.

@Chryshie: Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. Again, just a brief reaction from me.

Your distaste and distrust of investors in football is obvious. I don’t mean to be impolite or disrespectful but if you don‘t mind my asking, is your objection to investors born out of experience or just some kind of general emotional dislike? It seems as though it is based on a particular experience with a very bad investor you’ve made but I can’t put my finger on it…

A redistribution of TV money is just the kind of success tax I had in mind. I have used the term in a rather liberal way. I am a bit sceptical about heavy taxation on the rich in society at large but it seems an acceptable measure in professional football because of its peculiar “Matthew effect” closed shop nature.

And if we talk about just Germany, the UEFA doesn’t enter the frame. A tax like this can be levied by the DFL independently.

Lastly, if you feel more comfortable in German (which I suspect you do), please go ahead! I am serious, too. My German is good enough to understand even the more subtle aspects of your remarks. :smile:

Ich freue mich sehr über die angenehme Diskussion. Ich möchte in der Hinsicht Investoren noch einen ganz entscheidenden ökonomischen Aspekt beifügen. Der Trickle-down-Effekt, in deutsch die Pferdeäpfel-Theorie, die sich nachweislich als falsch ergeben hat. Ganz herunter gebrochen bedeutet es, das einem Reichen mehr Freizügigkeit gegeben werden soll, damit genug dabei ab fällt, das es der Arme nutzen kann und den Kreislauf aufrecht erhält. Genau das würde passieren, wenn einem Investor freie Hand gewährt wird. Er würde investieren, mehr als zuvor, und die Gelder die dabei fließen kommen eben nicht den kleinen Vereinen zu Gute, sondern würden im eigentlichen Sinne im freien Markt versickern. Genau das ist das Problem was die deutsche Bundesliga noch versucht abzuwehren, und was in der englischen Premiere-League vor Jahren Einzug erhalten hat. Hier kristallisiert sich heraus, was im deutschen Fußball in absehbarer Zeit ebenso passieren wird oder in der Kausa FC Bayern jetzt schon Einhalt erhalten hat. Ich finde Investoren in Sachen Fußball absolut fehl am Platz. Aus entschiedenen Gründen.

1. Ein Investor versucht sein Geld zu vermehren, anzulegen oder arbeiten zu lassen. Dies kann er in der Hinsicht nur mit totem Kapital, sprich mit Sachwerten oder Gegenwerten. Dieser Aspekt ist in einem Sport nicht der Fall, da ein Sport nicht von Sachwerten, Maschinen oder toten Gegenständen betrieben wird, sondern von lebendem Kapital, dem Mensch.

2. Ein Investor sieht nur die Möglichkeit auf Vermehrung seines eigentlichen Vermögens. Für ihn sind Fan-Kultur, Tradition, Geschichte des Vereins oder gar herausragende Spieler absolut uninteressant und irrelevant, so lange sie nicht dem gewünschten Gewinn entgegen stehen, nämlich der Rendite.

3. Investoren sehen keine Vereine sondern nur Anlageobjekte. Ein Verein kann ein solches Objekt nie sein, da er wesentlich aus Humankapital besteht und nicht aus freiem gewerblichen Kapital. (Ja, ich habe Marx gelesen)

Was meinen Vergleich zu Lehman Brothers angeht, so gibt es sehr wohl Parallelen in der Fußballwelt. Bildvermarktungsrechte, um nur ein Beispiel zu nennen, sind in Spanien Gang und gebe. Der derzeitige Präsident vom FC Valencia verfügt über 20% der Bildverwertungsrechte von CR7, obwohl dieser niemals bei diesem Verein unter Vertrag stand, noch das es irgendwann einmal Aussicht auf eine vertragliche Verpflichtung gegeben hätte. Wieso also hält dieser Mensch 20% der Bildvermarktungsrechte von CR7??? Weil dieser Spieler für den Präsidenten kein Mensch ist, sondern ein Investitionsobjekt. Gleiches gilt für Leon Bailey von Bayer 04 Leverkusen und dem maltesischen Investor Doyen Sports. Diese als Spielerberater getarnte Gruppe hält mehr als 50% an den Weiterverkaufsrechten des Spielers. Wieso frage ich mich? Wie kann ein Mensch als Investitionsobjekt betrachtet und gehandelt werden?

Und nichts anderes war die Vorgehensweise von Lehman Brothers und Co. Ob das Spekulationsobjekt nun eine Immobilie, ein Kredit oder ein Spieler ist spielt überhaupt keine Rolle mehr. Es geht einzig und allein um die Wertsteigerung eines Objekts, in diesem Fall eines menschlichen Spielers. Solche Investoren haben nur eines im Sinn, und das ist Gewinnmaximierung. Im Fußball läuft die ganze Sache noch unter der Verschwiegenheit der Vereine, bzw. der aufgehaltenen Hand der FIFA oder UEFA. So lange jemand daran mit verdienen kann, wird es geduldet und toleriert. Ein solches System kann nur über längere Zeit scheitern.

Und bei allem Verständnis - ich kenne keinen Investor in den europäischen Ligen, die einzig und allein wegen Verein, wegen der Tradition, der Geschichte oder den Angestellten eines Vereins ihre Schatulle öffnen und das Geld sprießen lassen. Natürlich gibt es Vertreter die eine solche Vorgehensweise begrüßen. Wo wäre der FC Chelsea London heute ohne Abramowitch? Wo wäre Paris St. Germain ohne Al-Khelaifi? Wo wäre Zenit Sankt Petersburg ohne Gazprom, oder wo wäre der VFL Wolfsburg ohne VW? Ich finde, in dem Thema wird eine Scheindebatte geführt, die mit eigentlichen Vereinsstrukturen oder mit sportlichem Wettbewerb nichts mehr zu tun hat.

Als letztes möchte ich noch anführen, das Investoren in Sachen Sport derzeit keine bessere Möglichkeit haben, als eine Gewinnmaximierung zu erzielen. Schaut man auf die Entwicklung der Transfermärkte und den exorbitanten Ablösesummen, so schlagen solche Investitionen mit viel höheren Rendite zu Buche als anderswo. In welcher Branche kann man heute noch Wertentwicklungen von 20% und mehr erwirtschaften? Außer beim Organhandel oder der Mafia gibt es keine lukrativeren Gewinnmargen als derzeit im Fußball. Wie sonst lässt sich zum Beispiel erklären, das die Wettbranche weltweit explodiert ist?

@Christian_Jakob: Wow, there is so much in your posting that I would like to pick up on and respond to that I probably won’t find enough time today.

But I find this discussion just as interesting and fruitful as you do and I will get back to you!

Ok, let’s see if I can make some headway with our discussion today. In the interest of time and readability, I’ll group your points and try to answer them as simply and concisely as possible.

Two remarks on the ‘trickle-down theory’. The trickle down theory is a theory postulating an economic principle on the level of society in general. Simply put, it holds that if you lower the taxes on the rich, they will spend this extra money on increased economic activity (e.g. starting new businesses, investing in other companies etc.), which in turn will have direct and indirect positive effects on employment (i.e. new jobs), public revenue and so on.

As such this theory is NOT applicable to just any one single industry in isolation in an economy. Not all the factors that are supposed to make the theory work on the level of a country’s economy as a whole are necessarily present in any single given of its industries – and most certainly not in the business of football. Here, the way in which money is invested and spent by whom based on which incentives and how this money flows to whom for which reason is completely different from how this happens in the economy as a whole. The ‘trickle-down theory’ seems neither a useful nor reasonable concept to explain the economics of football (no offence! :smile:).

As regards investors, it seems as though the two of us have quite different views on their morals and goals. As I have outlined before, my views are not quite as dim as yours are. I don’t think that certainly the majority of football owners and investors are in it just to make money no matter what.

Take the emotions out of it and go through the list of football investors and owners in England and look at the issue empirically if you would. Yes, there have been instances of complete mismanagement and totally inept ownership in the past, Charlton Athletic and Nottingham Forest spring to mind (and there are more), but then there are all the positive cases as well! You’ve mentioned Roman Abramovich, a good example for an owner with staying power and an unwavering supporter of his club for almost 20 years now. Do you think Abramovich is primarily driven by generating profits? He has invested much more money into Chelsea than he will ever get back.

Or look at Mike Ashley, the owner of Newcastle United. He is passionately hated by the fans and every time he attends a game, he is the target of the most vitriolic abuse from the stands. Does he bow out? (He has considered it but never done.) Does he take his money out of the club and leave? No. He bears all the hate and insults and stays on. Do you really think, a guy like him couldn’t find a more pleasant and comfortable way of making money?

Or did you follow the outpouring of love and affection for the then owner of Leicester City, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, after his fatal helicopter crash last year? He was a picture of an owner, respected by the fans and beloved by his employees at Leicester. He too didn’t enter the business of football with the sole focus of maximising profits regardless of the consequences.

The list goes on. I could name another five or ten investors easily who are not driven by the same kind of amoral ‘here today, gone tomorrow’ attitude that you suggest. You have read Marx. Good. Marx was a genius at describing the terrible economic circumstances of his time. He wasn’t necessarily the same kind of genius at deriving economic theory from it. With investors (i.e. capitalists), it’s not anymore all about money and exploiting their employees (i.e. the working class) just as a means to make even more money. That may have been the case in the Manchester capitalism era in the nineteenth century, but the world has come a long way since then. It’s much more complex today, people are motivated by a whole host of factors, not just money and profits. Look at my earlier posting (again, no offence!).

Concerning Lehman Brothers, what do players’ image rights and their intricate ownership arrangements have to do with a collapsing banking sector or the economic relationships between football clubs? The Lehman Brothers catastrophe was all about financially interconnected banks, if one goes down, all do. The economics of a footballer’s image rights work rather differently. I don’t quite get your analogy.

As far as the issue of a player regarded as an investment and not a human being is concerned, emotionally, I am on your side. I too would like to live in a world where every human being is held in the same highest esteem just by virtue of their existence. But maybe I’m too jaded, too sober a guy, or just too much of a realist to know that that’s not the case. Just as Marx, so too would I stand up against and fight the brutal and inhuman economic conditions of his time but I fail to get equally aroused by the economic reality of a 21st century professional footballer. Cristiano Ronaldo’s image rights might be held by many different parties all over the world, but I can’t see how he suffers from that. On the contrary, the fact that he has sold his image rights to the highest bidder(s) has made him a very rich man. Does he have to work in a sweatshop for 19 hours a day? No. Does he have to kneel down before his business partners every time he meets them? Presumably not. Does he earn upwards of €50m each year? Yes.

Don’t get me wrong. I am quite aware of the despicable circumstances in which African players are traded to Europe (particularly Belgium) by amoral businessmen, and I know about the highly suspicious deals with underage talents European clubs conduct in South America, but the issue of image rights in particular leaves me cold. I have no problem with human beings being treated as an economic investment as long as it happens with their consent and they don’t suffer from it. I’m not a principled man in this regard, I am sorry to say (I hope this doesn’t make me a bad human being :thinking::wink:).

I am looking forward to all hand any response!

Hallo @Albulipe! Schön von dir zu lesen. Über wirtschaftliche Zusammenhänge und Ökonomie kann man trefflich streiten, da es keinen Königsweg gibt. Daher werde ich im ersten Teil nicht auf deine Zeilen eingehen, was aber später noch kommen kann. Was mich an deiner Aussage ziemlich wundert ist das Thema Investoren und deren Absichten. Ich habe mir speziell die von dir angesprochene PL angeschaut und stelle dabei einige sehr interessante Muster fest, die belegen sollen, das es einem Investor nicht nach Gutdünken, nach Zugehörigkeit oder Anhängerschaft geht, sondern ganz klar die Orientierung auf Profit gelegt ist.

Arsenal London (Stan Kroenke): US-Amerikaner, Inhaber von Los Angeles Rams (NFL), Colorado Avalanche (NHL), Denver Nuggets (NBA), Colorado Mammuth (NLL) und Colorado Rapids (MLS). Ihm gehört nebenbei noch der Pepsi Center in Denver und ist CEO eines Sport-TV-Sender. Seine ersten Investitionen bei Arsenal tätigte er 2007, über den Zeitraum von 2008 bis 2011 kaufte er immer weitere Anteile von Arsenal hinzu. Bis 2013 betrug die Gesamtinvestition von Kroenke ca. 425 Mio Pfund, aber Überraschung! Der Vereinswert an der englischen PLUS-Börse zum gleichen Zeitpunkt betrug 955 Mio Pfund. Gewinnzuwachs 100% in nicht mal einem Jahr. Seit 2018 ist Kroenke mit 92% alleiniger Inhaber von Arsenal London. Und wenn das noch nicht ausreicht, weise ich gerne auf das Tax Justice Network hin, welches 2015 veröffentlichte, das der FC Arsenal London eine auf den Cayman Islands registrierte Ltd. ist und im großen Umfang Steuerzahlungen vermeidet. Noch eine kleine Anmerkung zu Arsenal und seinen Investoren. Der heutige Haupt-Anteilseigner (49,9%) vom FC Everton, der Iraner Farhad Moshiri, gab 2016 seine Anteile an Arsenal ab. Vereinstreue oder Verbundenheit sieht anders aus, nicht wahr?

Manchester United (Glazer-Familie): Malcolm Glazer, Mehrheits-Anteilseigner der Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL) und Inhaber mehrerer Franchises in den USA. Seit 2003 Besitzer und Eigentümer von Manchester United, der seine beiden Söhne (Rieche ich hier Vetternwirtschaft?) Avram & Joel Glazer als Vorstandsvorsitzende einsetzte. Manchester United wurde unter den Glazers in zwei Gesellschaften ausgegliedert. Die Red Football Ltd. Partnership und die Red Football General Partner Inc. sind im US-Bundestaat Navada angemeldet. In Nevada wird keine Körperschaftssteuer erhoben. Ebenso ist die Aktiengesellschaft auf den Cayman Inseln gemeldet um Steuerzahlungen zu vermeiden. Siehe hierzu auch in die Veröffentlichungen des Tax Justice Network von 2015. Interessanter Nebenaspekt ist noch der Hauptsponsor zwischen 2006 und 2010, das war nämlich die Amercian International Group (AIG). Und wer sich an die Lehman Krise 2008 erinnert, findet in diesem Zusammenhang auch die AIG, die von amerikanischen Steuermitteln in Höhe von 150 Mrd US-Dollar gerettet wurde.

Manchester City (Mansour bin Zayed Al Nayhan): Scheich aus den Vereinigten Arabischen Emiraten und Mitglied der Herrscherfamilie. Seit 2009 Hauptanteilseigner mit 86,2% von Man City, die in der Abu Dhabi United Group Investment & Development Ltd (ADUG) rechtlich hinterlegt ist. Speziell für den Kauf von Man City wurde die ADUG 2008 mit Sitz in den Emiraten gegründet. In den Emiraten gibt es keine direkten Steuern und das Königreich gilt als Steueroase. Die ADUG besitzt weitere internationale Fußballvereine. Darunter New York City FC (MLS), Melbourne City FC (A-League), Yokohama Football Marinos (J-League) und der FC Girona (Premiera Division). Man City verfügt ebenso über ein großes Training- und Scouting Netzwerk, das mit zwei Akademien in Afrika verbunden ist. Dort gibt es immer wieder fragwürdige Vorkommnisse die schon an Menschenhandel erinnern.

Weitere Vereine dessen Inhaber dafür gesorgt haben, den Club in eine Ltd. auf den Cayman Inseln auszugliedern:

Birmingham City (Carson Yeung Ka Sing / China)
FC Fulham (Shahid Khan / Pakistan)

An diesen Daten ist auffällig, das die oben genannten Investoren alle zwischen 2006 und 2009 englische Clubs aufgekauft haben. Warum dieser Zeitraum? Ich spekuliere jetzt ein wenig. Kann es sein, das durch die Lehman Krise 2007/2008 der Finanzmarkt kaputt war und man sich neue Rendite-Quellen suchte? In allen beschriebenen Beispielen kommt nicht ein Investor gebürtig aus Großbritannien. Eine körperliche oder psychische Nähe zu einen der Clubs kann es also auch nicht geben.

Zu deinem Beispiel Roman Abramovich kann ich ebenso entgegnen - zu welchem Preis hat der Oligarch aus Russland den Club gekauft? 200 Mio Pfund. Was ist der Verein heute wert? 2,2 Mrd. Pfund. Ist das keine Wertsteigerung? Und Abramovich liebäugelt schon länger mit einem Verkauf von Chelsea.

Newcastle United und Mike Ashley. Ernsthaft? (Nicht böse gemeint)
Schon vergessen was die Steuerbehörde HMRC 2017 beim Verein durchgeführt hat? Kam es da nicht zu einer Razzia mit 180 Beamten wegen Steuerbetrugs? Wurden da nicht ziemlich viele Daten beschlagnahmt und Lee Charnley verhaftet? Hast du das wirklich schon vergessen? Das unter solchen Umständen und Vorfällen die Fans von Newcastle einen Mike Ashley alles andere als umarmen wollen ist wohl mehr als verständlich. Und das du es als positiv betrachtest, das ein solcher Ashley weiterhin im Club bleibt muss doch ehrlich gesagt auch von einer ganz anderen Sicht aus betrachtet werden. Wo könnte dieser Investor, mit dieser Reputation aktuell ein anderes Geschäftsfeld aufmachen oder einsteigen? Schon mal so gedacht?

In der gleichen Razzia wurden übrigens auch Geschäftsräume von West Ham United untersucht und Unterlagen beschlagnahmt. Was mich direkt zu Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha von Leicester City bringt. Er hat sein Mrd-Vermögen mit Duty-free Shops gemacht und hatte in Thailand quasi ein Monopol. Ich kann es nicht beweisen, nur meine Menschenkenntnis sagt mir, wenn ein Mensch ein Monopol in einem Land errichtet, was ebenso fragwürdig mit Menschenrechten und Demokratie umgeht, dann kann da nicht alles sauber abgelaufen sein. Was allerdings nur eine haltlose Spekulation von mir ist.

Und ich möchte noch erwähnen, das ich für die oben genannten Beispiele nur auf die Premiere League geschaut habe. Weitaus größere Verflechtungen mit den nahezu gleichen Geschäftsmodellen gibt es noch in anderen internationalen Ligen - auch in der Bundesliga. Wir beide sind vielleicht unterschiedlicher Meinung was Wirtschaft und Vergleich zum Sport angeht. Allerdings betrachte ich Investoren im Fußball weiterhin als Krebsgeschwür, die den Fußball definitiv zerstören und sich nur selbst bereichern wollen, indem sie Möglichkeiten ausnutzen um Steuern zu hinterziehen oder Steuerzahlungen zu vermeiden.

Ach, was ich ja fast vergessen habe. CR7 und Vermarktungsrechte. Natürlich hat der Spieler daraus seinen finanziellen Vorteil, keine Frage. Aber was macht er aus diesem Vorteil? Er hinterzieht Steuern, wofür er auch rechtskräftig verurteilt wurde. Das ist mein Vorwurf in dieser Thematik. Denn genau der Mensch der 19h am Tag in einem Sweatshop arbeitet ZAHLT seine Steuern! Mit einer Strafzahlung von 20 Mio Euro konnte er abwenden ins Gefängnis zu gehen. Und genau das ist der Nebeneffekt der bei solchen Dingen heraus kommt. Wenn es nur noch ums Geld geht und nicht mehr um den Sport an sich, dann folgt ein Rattenschwanz an Verfehlungen, weil jeder anscheinend nur noch raffgierig ist in diesen Bereichen. Wie sonst erklärst du dir den Wechsel von CR7 nach Juventus Turin? Die Familie Agnelli hat doch CR7 nicht nur aus sportlichen Gründen geholt, sondern eben wegen Vermarktung. Ein CR7 bringt Twitter-Follower und Istagram-Follower in Millionen mit sich, die alle potentielle Käufer von Merchandising sind. Juve ist schon der Primus in Italien. Rein sportlich gesehen hätte man einen CR7 überhaupt nicht nötig gehabt. Aber das liebe Geld was man mit diesem Spieler generieren kann, das nimmt die Alte Dame gerne mit.

Viele liebe Grüße

[quote=“Chryshie, post:3, topic:2210”]
Good luck with that. In Germany they aren’t even able to establish and pass a decent tax for top earners (“Reichensteuer”) or inheritance tax (Erbschaftssteuer).[/quote]

We have your so called “Reichensteuer” since January 2007 and also a “Erbschaftsteuer” which makes ~5 Mrd. Euro each year.

:wink:

@Christian_Jakob: Thank you a great deal for your well researched reply! I appreciate the time and effort you’re taking for this discussion.

I won’t argue with your facts. I don’t have the time nor energy to recheck everything you’ve said but I doubt you’re trying to be deliberately misleading. :wink: (We are not in Trump land after all. Your facts should be as good as mine. :smile: )

I find myself agreeing with you. You have made a very convincing case for your perspective. A lot of football investors probably are just in it for the money. Yet I still don’t think that this is true for everybody. I believe that Roman Abramovich, for example, in his acquisition of Chelsea was primarily looking for a residential foothold in the UK as a safeguard against Russian – let’s call it – ‘interference’ with his health and freedom. I also believe that the Arabian sheikhs are motivated less by financial than political interests. The main reasons for their investments will be to put themselves on the map of world politics (which might help the Qataris in their struggle with Saudi Arabia now), and to raise their sporting credentials as one of the most vibrant, up-and-coming sports regions in the world (which has certainly helped the Qataris in their world cup bid). This is probably also true for many a Chinese investor. It is part of official state politics in China now to turn their country into a global football powerhouse, probably not least to facilitate their possible bid to host the world cup of 2030 or 2034. And as they obviously wouldn’t want to turn up to that tournament with a second rate team, they also seek to turn their national team into a serious contender in world football. That’s why they spend so much on transfers and salaries to European and South American star players in order to lure them to their league, and that’s probably also an important factor in why Chinese investors try to establish business links to European football clubs.

As far as the business conduct of such investors is concerned, I don’t think this has anything to do with football in particular (you didn’t explicitly say that but I thought I’d want to make the point nonetheless). I believe these men would act the same no matter where they invest, be it professional football, natural resources, retail – or, heck, even the baby milk powder industry (remember that one? The melamine scandal?). I am convinced that it is this thoroughness, this attention to detail, this drive and urge to always test the limits of what they can do – in short, this deep seated need to always improve, to always be better, to always ‘win’ that leads them to exploit every legal opportunity (and sometimes illegal ones, too) to get the best out of their business and to maximise their returns. I consider this “besting the world" mentality a key trait of their personality and certainly part of what has made them these incredibly successful businessmen they are in the first place.

This is most assuredly true for Cristiano Ronaldo. People are often puzzled why he would do his level best to avoid paying taxes as much as possible given how much money he earns. I am not. On the contrary. I would be very puzzled if he didn’t do everything and anything at his disposal to save taxes. This man is the living incarnation of pure drive and dedication to winning. Just look at his physique. The stories are legion of him arriving first to training and leaving last, taking extra hours practising free kicks and spending his spare time in the gym. He has been consistently playing at world class level for almost 15 years now. He is hardly ever injured. This man is the embodiment of single minded focus and testing one’s limits. Why would he stop being this man when it comes to his business decisions? Could you imagine him sitting down with is tax advisor saying: “Oh yes, okay, that’s what I owe then? 15 million? Okay, cool, why not. Just go ahead and make the necessary transfers, would you?”? I can’t. Of course he would try his utmost to win and be the best here too, on the ‘business pitch’.

To return to our original discussion, it seems obvious to me that we don’t share the same view on investors in football. Yours may be a bit gloomy, mine a tad cheerful. This is perfectly fine with me, the world would be incredibly boring if everybody were of the same opinion all the time.

Speaking of boring, this leaves us with the question, where next? Should we leave it here or should we move on to the discussion about the apparent conflict between, on the one hand, clinging to traditions, authenticity and genuineness in football, and, on the other hand, a football that is less boring and predictable and more competitive? Because in my opinion, these two goals are almost diametrically opposed.

Over to you @Christian_Jakob and @all! (I’d like others to chime in here as well! )